Spring loaded connectors

mbw479

Does anyone know how to fix these connectors, 1 of mine has lost it’s rebound, for it to hold in the socket I have had to wrap it in self bonding electrical tape.

IMG_0457.jpeg

VargRider1609

There is a small torsion spring that is in between the locking collar and the body.

There is also a really small o-ring on the inside.

Check that the o-ring is in place and is not damaged.

If there is debris, it might have locked up the spring.

You can use som contact cleaner to remove any dirt.

mbw479

There is a small torsion spring that is in between the locking collar and the body.

There is also a really small o-ring on the inside.

Check that the o-ring is in place and is not damaged.

If there is debris, it might have locked up the spring.

You can use som contact cleaner to remove any dirt.
I don’t think mine has a spring, it just flops around. Do you know if there is a way to pull these apart?

VargRider1609

It's strange to break the spring on the inside.

Is it because you replaced the powertrain or something?

Don't really know how I would pull the collar without risking breaking the connector.

rayivers

There are no other markings anywhere on the connector (numbers, letters, etc.)?

If you could find a small-ID thick / soft O-ring that could be stretched and released between the locking collar and body, that might replace the missing spring tension (more than one might be needed) - or a very small tie-wrap in this same location, for a solid no-tension fit if sized correctly. If one of these methods had good results, finishing with adhesive heat-shrink over everything would give a semi-permanent sealed connection.

mbw479

It's strange to break the spring on the inside.

Is it because you replaced the powertrain or something?

Don't really know how I would pull the collar without risking breaking the connector.
I have had to replace the battery and the powertrain, the other identical connectors come apart and go together easily, this one is the only issue.

mbw479

There are no other markings anywhere on the connector (numbers, letters, etc.)?

If you could find a small-ID thick / soft O-ring that could be stretched and released between the locking collar and body, that might replace the missing spring tension (more than one might be needed) - or a very small tie-wrap in this same location, for a solid no-tension fit if sized correctly. If one of these methods had good results, finishing with adhesive heat-shrink over everything would give a semi-permanent sealed connection.
The self bonding electrical tape is doing a good job of holding it, I would like it to be original though.

VargRider1609

From what I can see on my bike, that looks to be the communication between ECU and HV controller. If you can bodge a solution that you ensure retention and electrical contact fair enough.

Otherwise I would not risk it if they sent this power unit from their headquarters. And if it is a warranty replacement I would get back to them.

mbw479

From what I can see on my bike, that looks to be the communication between ECU and HV controller. If you can bodge a solution that you ensure retention and electrical contact fair enough.

Otherwise I would not risk it if they sent this power unit from their headquarters. And if it is a warranty replacement I would get back to them.
The one pictured is not the faulty connector, it is one of those style plugs. The faulty one is the one coming from behind the charging inlet (the top one), this was not replaced at any point with the component changeouts. I am not worried about what it does, I would just like it to function properly.

VargRider1609

The one pictured is not the faulty connector, it is one of those style plugs. The faulty one is the one coming from behind the charging inlet (the top one), this was not replaced at any point with the component changeouts. I am not worried about what it does, I would just like it to function properly.
In that case it's for the charging port that is at the back. it shoudn't be critical in that case.

I actually saw one of their freestyle guys that was running with no charging port at all and modified plastics/subframe to be able to grab the bike in the air.

mbw479

In that case it's for the charging port that is at the back. it shoudn't be critical in that case.

I actually saw one of their freestyle guys that was running with no charging port at all and modified plastics/subframe to be able to grab the bike in the air.
You are 100% correct, however it is just in my nature to like things to be perfect. Like a scratch on your car that is hardly noticeable but you see it because you look at every time you walk past it ….