using the Varg app on a non-Stark phone

Theo

Have you tried using tha app on a device which is not the Stark smartphone? Does it work? Have you noticed any conflict with the interaction of the Stark phone with the motorcycle?
I guess that it should be usable provided the Varg phone is not running the app or, even better, if it's turned off.
This could be useful in case you forget or lose the Stark phone and especially for those people who have removed the phone cradle.
The only possilbe hazard that I see is that if your phone has been hacked someone can affect the behaviour of the bike, but I think it's an unlikely event.

mike61

Impossible to install.
But I stopped then without checking why.
Maybe the phone or Android version, no idea.

Jocke_D

The app is locked to this phone model. Don't know the details but the publisher (Stark) can lock what kind of phone the app is possible to download to.

Theo

The app is locked to this phone model. Don't know the details but the publisher (Stark) can lock what kind of phone the app is possible to download to.
I've just noticed that in the FAQ pdf file downloadable from the Support section of the Stark website they have written that only the Stark phone can connect to the Varg.
No wonder then that the app is locked to that phone model.

ducatidesmo

I was watching the Launch video from over two years ago and the app appears to have been MUCH more comprehensive than it is currently. They were talking about making changes on your personal phone and then moving the changes to the stark phone, and having an iOS app as well... As well as full navigation, air time, a ridiculous amount of adjustability (which I love)... I wonder if they'll just be releasing iterative updates.

Foss

I am sure it could be done if you just root the phone and spoof the device fingerprint to the one that was issued to you. There is also the option of emulating android using bluestacks. You’d have to replicate starks device on hand and test a lot assuring everything is offline. But the SIM might play a role in it as well. You’d need a phone with dual SIM compatibility.

But there are use cases probably in place if an unknow device heartbeats to starks servers you’d probably get a nasty gram… or a possible bricked device/bike, with a voided warranty. Many ways stark can enforce protecting their products.