Any recommended Lock on grips for the Varg?

greyStrongWolf

Hi, can any one recomend a pair of lock on grips that will fit the varg? I dont have mine yet, but want to get parts ordered in before the bike arrives.

Thanks!

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
Lock-on grips is one thing that may not happen soon on electric bikes. Don't the lock-on grips come with an integrated throttle tube on the right hand side?

I am not sure about the Stark Varg's throttle, but the Hirschmann throttle on the Alta is assembled together once and is not meant to be be disassembled ever. They use weird tamper-proof screws. You can glue different grips onto the throttle tube, but you cannot replace the throttle tube without drilling those screws out.

smdub

Don't have my Varg yet but there will be nothing stock that works. I have a LightBee, UltraBee, and KTM E - they all have proprietary throttle tubes. Gas bikes w/ throttle-by-wire are the same (KTM 890R, Husky 701, etc.) so its not just a E bike problem. I put a lock-on the left and glue a grip on the right (which requires carefully cutting the factory grip off. Though you can order the KTM bare tubes.)

stephane

Newbie question.
To remove the grip on the throttle side can I used wd40 or some other products without risking to mess up anything on the throttle unit?
Or shall I just cut off the grip?

Philip

Administrator
Staff member
I left my bike in the Arizona sun for 20 minutes and the stock grips loosened up and came off with no tools.

I do not think WD40 would hurt anything.

But be careful not to get the grip glue anywhere it shouldn't be. You won't be able to remove it because the throttle cannot/shouldn't be disassembled.

C5tor

Chief Comedic Instigator
There’s always good old safety wire to hold on the grips. That’s what the pros do. Takes some practice, but you can always redo it if you screw it up. Lots of tutorials on YouTube.

If the grips are not glued on, I usually use compressed air to remove and install the grips.

Pro tip: Using compressed air to install the grips is also good for making super-loud, squeaky, fart sounds during the process, which somehow makes the whole thing more “manly.” (I mean, using pneumatic tools in an efficient way to work on dirt bikes in your man cave while drinking a beer and adding fart sounds to the mix? Don’t tell me you can get more manly than that!)

WD40 can make the bars slick, and your new grips might not grip like they should. I sometimes use rubbing alcohol as a lubricant on the bars, as it evaporates quickly without leaving a residue.

Swank171

Newbie question.
To remove the grip on the throttle side can I used wd40 or some other products without risking to mess up anything on the throttle unit?
Or shall I just cut off the grip?
as states above Compressed air works great if you have access. I would avoid anything that lubricates or leaves residue because nothing is worse than a new grip that spins.....or more dangerous than a new grip that slips off...

If you dont have access to that then you can get some brake cleaner on get it in there. when i dont have access to air and i dont wanna cut my grips off that works great cause it dries with no residue. Just use the straw it comes with and peel the grip abck a little, and put the straw in. Dosnt take much once there is fluid in there.

Just blow air on the inside of the grip and with come off pretty easy.

On instillation if you are going to use grip glue, stark didnt use a capped throttle tube, its open. I recommend taking the glue and spreading it on the throttle tube avoiding the very end. Don't put any inside the grip itself on the throttle side, just on the tube. IT WILL get in between the throttle and the bar making your throttle sticky and you will have to take it all apart and clean it all out.