Stark side stand - eliminate auto return

gspad

Wondering if anyone has cut off the round cylinder to allow kick stand to not auto return. Looks fairly obvious that if I cut off the cylinder even with the kick stand, it should stay extended and not pop back automatically. Stark Kick Stand.jpg

rayivers

Is the cylinder a separate removable 'cup' held on by the pivot bolt, or an extension of the pivot center/bearing/etc? You might also try a spacer & longer screw for the spring retainer, clunky I know.

An auto-retracting kickstand would've screwed me up every single one of my last 50+ rides, and at least once I might've been seriously injured because of it.

gspad

It's one piece. I'm thinking if I hacked it off even with the stand, it will stay extended like KTMs. Looks to be same design. I imagine the auto retract is for EU standards. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it before I get my hack saw out.

rayivers

It might be enough to just cut/grind a wide slot in the wear-mark area, allowing the retainer to slide in / rotate more and reduce return tension - could always hack it all off if it failed.

gspad

I also added about 3/4 inch to the bottom of the stand to make it useable. 1/2 pvc section with high zoot tape. have to re-do the tape every few rides but at least the kick stand actually works.

AL_V

Or grind it down lol.

I just don’t use a kick stand lol. A tree or wall is good enough for me
I think the line on the "cylinder" is there to show you where to cut it off, but after seeing the smooth job done by @blbills, I am going to take care to make mine as smooth :cool:

blbills

I think the line on the "cylinder" is there to show you where to cut it off, but after seeing the smooth job done by @blbills, I am going to take care to make mine as smooth :cool:
I did the initial cut with a simple Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel then finished it off with a bench grinder.

Ross Shafer

I'm lucky to have a machine shop in my barn, took more time removing the sidestand than it did to modify that pesky auto-retract cylinder. While the stand was off I whipped up a quick, cheap 'n dirty high heel and welded it on. Much mo betta!

A little note regarding using the screw head to stop your stand before full retract. Done this way, the stand is not as far over the center of its pivot and therefore not quite as stable. It may be easier to knock over because there is less leverage working to keep the stand retracted.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_1523.jpg