Stark Varg charger housing kit

gewoontim

Hi all,

Want to show you something I have been working on for the past months as a small side project!
I see a lot of people that are ditching the large stand and taking out the charger and placing it in another casing. The large stand is quite heavy and cumbersome, and for supermoto it is also really high. You see some solutions of straps to the original casing, but this is not ideal as it might damage the original casing and is still really heavy. Some other options include putting it in pelicases, but I have some doubts about the thermal management in these. Therefore I came up with a better design for a charger housing.

As you can see I combined the housing of the Freeride E charger with a lot of custom parts that bolt on to the stock Stark charger. This means that you don't have to make any changes to the charger itself and that you can just take it out of the original housing and place it in this housing. The airflow now goes from front to back, directly over the heatsink again. Again, no hardware changes here. The housing is finished with some brushed aluminium fronts and a custom decal for the handle.
I have been using the housing for about 5 trackdays now and it works totally fine. No overheating or any other problems. It is just a lot easier to handle than the stock charger :).

Advantages:
- Much lighter and smaller than stock housing (1,7 kg instead of 11,9kg for the stock stand or 6,7kg only for the stock charger housing)
- You can choose what bike stand you use
- Proper housing with good airflow throughout the case
- Looks good together with the Stark ;)

1.jpg
3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg2.jpg

The kit includes:
- Top and bottom Freeride E housing, including handle and feet
- Red anodized bolts to mount the handle and the feet
- 3D-printed parts to mount the charger in the housing
- Brushed aluminium side plates
- All the necessary hardware

The kit doesn't include:
- The stock charger, you will have to take it out of the original charger.

7.png8.png

I made enough parts to make a batch of 5 kits for now. I will sell these as a kit probably for 145EUR each excluding shipping. Let me know if you are interested!

Some pictures of the kit with the bike:
9.jpeg10.jpeg

Please note that I do not know if this voids you warranty and that I am not responsible for any damage or loss of warranty of your charger/bike. I do this merely as a hobby and not as a business.

Beagle

Nice projet, well executed.
Do you know how heavy the Stark charger is, without the housing?

I was wondering about the incoming road legal Enduro en Supermoto Vargs, they ought to include onboard charger, it would make no sense to have a road legal bike that you have to tow around just to get the charger with you?

gewoontim

I was wondering about the incoming road legal Enduro en Supermoto Vargs, they ought to include onboard charger, it would make no sense to have a road legal bike that you have to tow around just to get the charger with you?
Internet says around 6,5kg, I am also quite curious what the weight of my housing is compared to the stock housing. Will measure that this evening!

Did you have to cut the bike side cable to re-route it through your side plate?
No, I have designed everything to be plug and play. The port is just large enough that the connector fits through, you then clamp the cable in place with the two black plug halves.

Foss

I am interested, just might wait to see if there is a different iteration for humidity when stored since I live in FL. A water proofing case would be ideal. Also a way to stow the cables inside the housing would be great. This way the cables have added protection.

gewoontim

I am interested, just might wait to see if there is a different iteration for humidity when stored since I live in FL. A water proofing case would be ideal. Also a way to stow the cables inside the housing would be great. This way the cables have added protection.

The charger (Elcon TC 3.3kW) is already IP67 rated. So in my opinion no additional waterproofing measures are required.
As for the cables you have a point. Inside the housing will be difficult as there is not so much space there, but maybe some cable guides or hangers on the outside would work as well. I will think about it!

Rob

Hi all,

Want to show you something I have been working on for the past months as a small side project!
I see a lot of people that are ditching the large stand and taking out the charger and placing it in another casing. The large stand is quite heavy and cumbersome, and for supermoto it is also really high. You see some solutions of straps to the original casing, but this is not ideal as it might damage the original casing and is still really heavy. Some other options include putting it in pelicases, but I have some doubts about the thermal management in these. Therefore I came up with a better design for a charger housing.

As you can see I combined the housing of the Freeride E charger with a lot of custom parts that bolt on to the stock Stark charger. This means that you don't have to make any changes to the charger itself and that you can just take it out of the original housing and place it in this housing. The airflow now goes from front to back, directly over the heatsink again. Again, no hardware changes here. The housing is finished with some brushed aluminium fronts and a custom decal for the handle.
I have been using the housing for about 5 trackdays now and it works totally fine. No overheating or any other problems. It is just a lot easier to handle than the stock charger :).

Advantages:
- Much lighter and smaller than stock housing

View attachment 11309
View attachment 11311View attachment 11312View attachment 11313View attachment 11314View attachment 11310

The kit includes:

The kit doesn't include:

View attachment 11315View attachment 11316

I made enough parts to make a batch of 5 kits for now. I will sell these as a kit probably for 145EUR each excluding shipping. Let me know if you are interested!

View attachment 11317View attachment 11318

Please note that I do not know if this voids you warranty and that I am not responsible for any damage or loss of warranty of your charger/bike. I do this merely as a hobby and not as a business.
Very nice, I'm in for one if still available.

Josh422

Hi all,

Advantages:
- Much lighter and smaller than stock housing

View attachment 11309
View attachment 11311View attachment 11312View attachment 11313View attachment 11314View attachment 11310

The kit includes:

The kit doesn't include:

View attachment 11315View attachment 11316

View attachment 11317View attachment 11318

I’ll definitely take one! Send me info if there’s any available.

Swank171

This is actually a great idea, love it
And when the lid opens and slides back it reaches the charge port perfectly. No more fighting for every cm. Super easy to load too. Got the eyes and straps at the hobby store for 18$ and used the screws that came with it.

Next I’ll prob get some rubber stoppers to screw in the bottom like little rubber feet

gewoontim

Very nice, I'm in for one if still available.
Great! I will send you a PM.

I’ll definitely take one! Send me info if there’s any available.
Will send you a PM as well.

For the others: At the moment the first 5 (actually 7 including the forum members) are already gone. I will first make this batch and then sell the new batch ;). I still have to wait for the Freeride parts as my regular shop seemingly doesn’t sell them anymore..
Let me know if you are interested in this next batch.

gewoontim

I did some additional measurements:

Stock Stark stand + housing (without charger): 11,9 kg
Stock charger housing (without charger): 6,8 kg
Redesigned housing (without charger): 1,7 kg
Charger weight (from the internet): 6,5 kg

AL_V

Does the OEM stand (without the charger) flex a much when putting the Varg on it?
I took the charger out of the enclosure part of the stand, and then assembled the enclosure to the stand, so it is just as stable.
However, you could use some wood to take the place of the enclosure to stabilize the stand.
Looks pretty flimsy without...